Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

Illyrian light & Thracian medium cavalry

Here are some shots of the recently completed Illyrian light cavalry. Again, these figures are Old Glory 15s (code: SS14). I painted this batch at the same time as the Thracians, so many of the steps were done at the same time, which sped things up a great deal. Here is a frontal shot, just prior to the matt varnish being applied (photos should be clickable this time!):


These figures did not have a much in the way of folds in their garments, so the focus is more on the face, the poses of the arms and the horses. Fortunately, these faces have character, as do the OG horses, which respond well to washes and layering. As for the poses, there were only two in the pack, but by moving the spear arms and twisting heads slightly I was able to work in a bit more variety. On the whole, I'm pretty pleased with them. Here is another shot from a different angle:



To finish, here are a couple of shots of the completed Old Glory Thracians (code: TH05), though you might notice that a couple of spare Illyrian lights have been drafted in to make up the numbers. Again, I'm pleased with how they came out. Rather than paint each tunic a different colour, I thought I'd keep them uniform and introduce variety through saddle cloths and horse colours. I wanted the leader (a Xyston figure) to give them a bit of pop, and for the blue of his cloak (being the same as a few saddlecloths) to help provide a bit of unity. It's not prize winning stuff, but compared to my usual standard I hope that it's an improvement!

And another shot, showing the front.


I have a couple of things to do in the next lot, but am not sure which order I'll do them in yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...